- Harris, Brayton: Navy Times Book of Submarines. Best single
book I found from earliest attempts to recent submarines with political
- Compton-Hall, Richard: Submarine Pioneers. Information about
dozens of pioneers and their fates.
- Friedman, Norman: U.S. Submarines Through 1945. Thorough
on design and details from first U.S. submarines through WW II fleet
- Padfield, Peter: War Beneath the Sea: Opening chapter sub
development between WW I and WW II, then World War II submarine campaigns
of Britain, Germany, and the U.S. from a British view.
- Lockwood, Charles: Down to the Sea in Subs. Eventful life
from duty on a Holland sub to Commander Submariness Pacific in WW II.
- Maas, Peter: The Terrible Hours. Biography of remarkable
"Swede" Momsen's life in submarines for decades to design
World War II
- Blair, Clay, Jr.: Silent Victory: The U. S. Submarine War Against
Japan, 2 vols. Thorough, readable history of the American campaign,
frank about intelligence and problems.
- Blair, Clay, Jr.: Hitler's U-Boat War. Thorough history of
WW II Hitler's U-Boats and Battle of the Atlantic.
- Boyne, Walter: Clash of Titans. Good summary of naval operations
of WW II of all nations with human interest by British author.
- Holmes, W. J.: Underseas Victory. Excellent history and descriptions
of American submarine campaign. Though Holmes was a codebreaker, he
couldn’t write about it.
- Meigs, Montgomery: Slide Rules and Submarines. American scientists
help both anti-sub in Atlantic and our subs in Pacific.
- Morrison, Samuel: Two Ocean War, The. Sweeping story in 1
vol. of U.S. naval operations, including Battle of the Atlantic and
- Wiggins, Melanie: Torpedoes in the Gulf. U-boats in the Gulf
of Mexico and their effects on shipping and morale.
Doenitz, Karl: Ten Years and Twenty Days. Memoir that gives interesting
insights to Doenitz and to his U-boat war.
- Sontag, Sherry et al: Blind Man’s Bluff: Submarine Espionage.
Cold War actions that began soon after World War II, solving the Scorpion
sinking, and daring exploits of fast attack nuclear submarines, crews,
- Craven, John Piña: The Silent War: The Cold War Battle
Beneath the Sea.Craven starred in developing Polaris, solving nuclear
sub problems, finding the sunken Scorpion, and other feats.
- Weir, Gary E & Boyne, Walter: Rising Tide: Untold Story of
the Russian Submarines that Fought the Cold War. Tells the Russian
side of the conflicts in Blind Man's Bluff.
- Ballard, Robert D.: Eternal Darkness is a readable summary
from earliest deep sea exploration to the search for Titanic.
Much information and some illustrations.
- Ballard, Robert D.: Adventures in Ocean Exploration, National
Geographic. Less text than above and more illustrations.
- Vyborny, Lee & Davis, Don: Dark Waters describes training
of nuclear sailors and his experience in the first crew of deep diving
Explore other parts of this site http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/n77.html
Naval Submarine League: http://www.navalsubleague.com/
U. S. Naval Institute: http://www.usni.org/
Recovery of the Confederate submarine Hunley:
Map of tectonic
Internet site names (URLs) change; if any of these
do not work, and to find additional sites, use search engines.
Web sites for American World War II submarines.
John F. Yeaman for SAGE & QUEST Seminars