your word processor
Writings: of Jefferson & Madison
- Peterson, Merrill D., Editor: Portable Thomas Jefferson, The
(The Viking Portable Library) Documents, papers and letters written
by Jefferson over his lifetime, with brief introductory notes. Almost
the same material is available in hard cover in Thomas Jefferson:
Writings, Edited by Merrill D. Peterson (The Library of America).
- Rakove, Jack N., Editor: Madison: Writings. (The Library
of America) Contains 197 essays, addresses, private memos, and letters
written by Madison over his lifetime, including his contributions to
.Studies of church and state and biographies
- Alley, Robert S., Editor: James Madison on Religious Liberty.
Chapters on many facets of religious freedom written by leading authors.
Some major Madison writings begin the book.. This book commemorates
the 200th anniversary of Madison’s writing his Memorial and Remonstrance.
- Bainton, Roland H.: Travail of Religious Liberty, The. A
church historian’s summary of people and events of the Reformation
- Boorstin, Daniel J.: Lost World of Thomas Jefferson, The.
Jefferson and his circle of colleagues in science, agriculture, philosophy,
and other interests.
- Cunningham, Noble E., Jr.: In Pursuit of Reason: the Life
of Thomas Jefferson. One of the better one volume biographies of a complex
- Eck, Diana L.: A New Religious America; a "Christian
country" became the world's most religiously diverse nation and
the bridge building required.
- Levy, Leonard W.: Origins of the Bill of Rights. Thorough
study of the development of thoughts and words of the Bill of Rights.
- Noonan, John T., Jr.: Lustre of our Country, The. A retired
Federal judge’s review of the history of religious freedom from
colonial times to Supreme Court decisions. He reflects on his Catholicism
and the meaning of religious freedom for him.
- Wills, Garry: Inventing America. Study of the Declaration
of Independence as revised by Congress so a political writing, as written
by Jefferson a moral and scientific work, and from our perspective as
- Stokes, Anson Phelps: Church and State in the United States,
3 volumes. Thorough.
- Locke, John: Letter Concerning Toleration. Great Books in
- Locke, John: Two Treatises of Government (Cambridge Texts
in the History of Political Thought). Edited by Peter Laslett.
- Locke, John: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding. Annotated
by Alexander Fraser. 2 volumes.
- Paine, Thomas: Common Sense issued in January 1776, The Rights
of Man dedicated to George Washington published in London in February,
1791. Both plus other writings collected by Philip Foner: Life and Major
Writings of Thomas Paine.
- Williams, Roger: The Bloudy Tenant of Persecution. Out of
print; available in libraries.